Almond Gelo is the most appreciated Sicilian gelo dessert, together with watermelon gelo. It is a refreshing and fragrant dessert, made with almond milk flavored with cinnamon and lemon. Widespread in Sicily as early as the twelfth century, it is also called "biancomangiare".
- PGI Avola Almond
- Sweets with Sicilian almonds
- almond gelo
For 6/8 people:
• 1 l almond milk
• 100 g sugar
• 100 g starch or potato starch
• 50 g ground almonds
• 1 lemon peel
• half a cinnamon stick
1. Pour the almond milk into a saucepan, mixing it with the sifted starch to obtain a liquid cream.
2. Add the cinnamon, finely chopped almonds and lemon peel.
3. Cook on moderate flame, mixing carefully.
4. When the almond gelo reaches the boiling point, turn off the heat and remove the cinnamon and lemon peel from the preparation.
5. Let it cool in cups or molds.
6. When it has become lukewarm, put the almond gelo in the refrigerator until it reaches the consistency of a pudding (about 3 hours).
7. Garnish with lightly toasted almonds, or with grated chocolate, or chopped pistachios.