The almond paste is widely used in the excellent Sicilian pastry. Famous and appreciated all over the world, it is also called Royal Paste (Pasta Reale), because it is worthy of the palate of a king, even if it is made with very simple ingredients (almonds, sugar and water).
Born in the eleventh century thanks to the nuns of the Convent of the Martorana in Palermo, it is used to make almond pastries, martorana fruit and cassata.
- PGI Avola Almond
- pizzuta almond
• 400 g dried almonds
• 400 g sugar
• 150 cc water
1. Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let them cool, remove their skin and, after that, they are ready to be blended.
2. Pour 150 cc of water into a pan over medium heat and add the sugar without stopping mixing.
3. Add the almonds and continue to mix until the mixture is firm.
4. Remove from the heat. Spread the paste on a flat surface and let it to cool for about 40 minutes.
5. Form a dough and place it in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
6. Almond paste is now ready for use.